Sunday, April 25, 2010

Liberty Tavern - 3195 Wilson Boulevard, Arlington, VA

Saturday was a late lunch for myself and a few buddies. We took about an hour to figure out where we wanted to go and ended up deciding on Liberty Tavern. Liberty Tavern has recently been ranked at #75 on the DC areas top 100 list. I had never been and I was jacked.

That being said. Can I get an overrated chant?!? This place should be called "Average". Boy did it have promise though. We walked in and they had couches set up with people chillin drinkin beer. There were people playing cards at the table next to us. There was a solid beer list and the hostess was really nice.

Then we sat down. Now this was not an awful dining experience by any means. I mean this was not like Woodley Tavern or anything like that (I will write their review on a day when I am bored or get fired from my job or something). The service after being seated was slow as all hell. This is disappointing when most of the people in the place aren't eating. Ok. Remember...this was ranked 75th. Komi is 1 and Marvin was 98. Now, we each had different sandwiches. We ordered: Their skirt steak burger, the philly cheese, the North Carolina BBQ sandwich, and a Pittsburgh sandwich called the Primanti Brothers sandwich (housemade pastrami, provolone, coleslaw, French fries on housemade Italian bread with a fried egg). That last "sandwich" got the best review, a B. My burger was good, but not great. I could have had the same burger anywhere in the city. The NC bbq chicken was an insult to NC BBQ from the looks of it and my friend said it was pretty bland. Bland BBQ? That should be an automatic F. The steak and cheese was tiny, but got an "ok". Our waitress came to check on us twice throughout the whole meal and was not too pumped to be at work.

If this place was across the street from my house I would go every once in a while out of convenience to get a decent meal for cheap. However, this place is hyped and is ranked in a magazine that I trust. I give the Liberty Tavern a C+ or B-.

Highlight: Good fratmosphere with a solid beer list

Lowlight: Food, Service, and distance from my house haha.

1 comment:

  1. Good hip, young, positive vibe in the downstairs. Not that Dad is a hater on old people. One of his friends is the 1950's.

    BBQ chicken sandwich was dry and the coleslaw with it did not have much flavor. The sandwich is a C.

    EGO amo is ut vos dico mihi magnus papa

    ReplyDelete